'hash' file name mangling method

Ludolf Holzheid lholzheid at bihl-wiedemann.de
Wed Mar 23 21:43:28 GMT 2005

Hello,

I recently updated a file server from 2.0.7 to 3.0.11.

Knowing there have been five years of active development and many
versions of samba in between, I was afraid this update could break
our users applications. However, besides one small problem,
everything works like a charm. Even the 2.0.7 smbpasswd file works
for 3.0.11.

Thank you for keeping backward compatibility in mind during
development. I really appreciate that.

The small problem we had was the 'hash' file name mangling method:

It is not the same for 2.0.7 and 3.0.11, which breaks some '*.lnk'-
files and DOS batches pointing to files on the shares.

I think 3.0.11 is wrong, as the short names may contain spaces.
For instance, the short name for 'New Folder' was generated to
'NEWFO~HO' by 2.0.7, but 3.0.11 gives 'NEW F~HO'.

The attached patch seems to fix the problem.

Ludolf

Ludolf Holzheid             Tel:    +49 621 339960
Bihl+Wiedemann GmbH         Fax:    +49 621 3392239
Flosswoerthstrasse 41       e-mail: lholzheid at bihl-wiedemann.de
D-68199 Mannheim, Germany