Ansi Passwords

Mike Whalen - The Computer Valet mike at thecomputervalet.com
Sun Mar 20 03:25:47 GMT 2005

Hello everyone,

I suspect this message is a little off-topic. I hope not to take up too
much of anyone's time.

I am looking through some packet logs of a NetBIOS session between a
Windows 98 machine and Windows XP machine. I am trying to troubleshoot
an authentication problem.

One capture shows the session on the 98 machine as it tries to connect
to a share on the XP machine. The other capture is taken from the XP
side showing the 98 machine's attempt to connect. The two captures were
taken at two different times. There is no password for the user account
being used to authenticate to the XP machine.

In the case where there is no password, should a packet dump show an
ANSI Password? And, if so, should this ANSI password be the same on the
sending and receive side? The captures were taken at two different
times. Are the ANSI Passwords session-generated?

Any answers will be appreciated.

--

Cheers,

Mike Whalen