[Fwd: [Samba] using w32tm (WinXP) w/samba3 as DC: can't get DC List]

John Gerth gerth-samba at graphics.stanford.edu
Fri Mar 18 23:01:34 GMT 2005

Linda W wrote:

> I have a winXP client connecting to Samba 3.09 running as a PDC.
> The client machine is joined to the domain and the login box
> shows the domain name as the entity I'm logging into.
>
> I don't know if I don't have something set "right" or not, but I
> noticed my local clock had drifted about 50 seconds off of the
> PDC.  I have the windows time daemon running and I've seen it
> successfully set the time by specifying the DC-hostname directly,
> but the help text says internet synchronization only occurs _weekly_
> (weakly?).
>
> It says if you are part of a domain, your clock is automatically
> synchronized with the PDC.  But my computer doesn't appear to
> be doing this.  When I ask w32tm to compare it's local clock
> to the "Domain's" network time:
>
>> w32tm /monitor /domain:Bliss      # I get:
>

> GetDcList failed with error code:  0x80070774.
> Exiting with error 0x80070774
>
> ---
> In the system log, I see the following message:
>
> Time Provider NtpClient:  This machine is configured to use the domain
> hierarchy to  determine its time source, but the computer is joined to
> a  Windows NT 4.0 domain. Windows NT 4.0 domain controllers do not have
> a time service and do not support domain hierarchy as a time source.
> NtpClient will attempt to use an alternate configured external time
> source if available.  If an external time source is not configured  or
> used for this computer, you may choose to disable the NtpClient.
>
> ----------
>
>   I'm slightly confused...
>
> What is the "time server = yes" allow or permit as a time service?
>
> I thought Windows NT 5 domains were supported in Samba now?  Was
> I just having a fantasy or is there some switch/toggle I need in
> my configuration file...?

  Samba machines can be members of a Windows AD domain, but Samba domain
  control is still Windows NT 4 and the "time server = yes" refers to
  time sync protocols for that.   I think the failure you're seeing is
  that XP can't locate an AD-style controller.  To prove to yourself that
  you're in the NT domain correctly, install the Windows support tools
  and use the "nltest" utility:
     nltest /dclist:bliss
  which should responts that 'bliss' is a pre Windows 2000 domain.

  WinXP wants to use the standard NTP protocol for time sync.  This is
  good because it allows WinXP and your Samba host to sync with whatever
  NTP server your instituition uses.

  To manage the list of ntp servers on XP, use:
     net time /querysntp
     net time /setsntp:"timeserver1.you.choose,timeserver2.you.choose"

--
John Gerth      gerth at stanford.edu         (650) 725-3273  fax 723-0033