dnotify doesn't deliver signals when user changes

Mark Weaver mark at npsl.co.uk
Fri Mar 18 13:51:39 GMT 2005

I've been playing around trying to get samba to support "which files
changed" notifications rather than just returning
STATUS_NOTIFY_ENUM_DIR.  It appears that I have hit a problem with linux
dnotify however (kernel is 2.4.26 although from the changelogs no
dnotify fixes have popped up to the latest version).

Basically it all works fine until change_to_root_user is hit (popups up
in a few places: idle timeout/log file size processing/etc).  As soon as
the UID is changed, dnotify stops delivering file change signals.  As
far as I can tell, this would also affect the stock code.

Does anyone know if this is a problem with dnotify, samba, or both or
could suggest a reasonable workaround?

Thanks,

Mark

As an aside, the motivation for this is to try to get IIS5, which is
buggy wrt to file change notifications, to work with samba so that a
samba box can be used as a common root for a cluster.  I'm using a patch
from Juergen Hasch as the base for this, found at:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/mailing.unix.samba-technical/browse_thread/thread/47d4144632281dd1/690f1645ef983072?q=juergen+hasch+samba+notify#690f1645ef983072