Samba UDP Packet 0 TTL

Sturgis, Grant Grant.Sturgis at arraybiopharma.com
Mon Mar 14 16:13:39 GMT 2005

Greetings List,

This message was initially posted to the general samba list, but no
response:

I am having a problem with Samba sending out packets with 0 ttl.  The
main problem is that my IDS complains about it constantly.  I know that
I can change the IDS rules such that it does not alarm on this, but it
seems to me that Samba should never send out a 0 ttl packet.

I do have a packet trace of the offense (available if necessary), but
essentially it is:

11:29:13.045728 192.168.1.1.netbios-ns > 192.168.1.255.netbios-ns: NBT
UDP PACKET(137): QUERY; REQUEST; BROADCAST (DF) [ttl 0]

When I stop the smb service (service smb stop - stopping both smb and
nmb), these packets do stop occurring.

This is samba-3.0.9-1.3E.2 on RHEL 3.0

Any clues, suggestions, rants, etc are most welcome.

Thank you,

-Grant

sender  of the delivery error by replying to this message, or notify us by