pidl, idl compiler, question for support.

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Sun Mar 13 19:27:34 GMT 2005

Hi,

On Sun, Mar 13, 2005 at 08:22:02AM -0800, Tarmo Pikaro wrote about 'pidl, idl compiler, question for support.':
> Who is developing pidl compiler? I'm interested in
> it's documentation, it's status (how much far it is
> from being complete). I have tried to use it and came
> accross following error:

I am one of the folks working on pidl, as well as tridge, metze
and tpot.

> $ ./pidl.pl --header update_installer.idl
> Compiling update_installer.idl
> Use of uninitialized value in string at
> C:/projects2/remote_procedure_call/samba
> 4/source/build/pidl/util.pm line 14.
You'll need the --parse option to parse Microsoft-like IDL files.

> I'm interested about integrating pidl compiler into
> embedded environement and would like to have some
> cooperation with you if necessary. I can assist you on
> writing documentation, code, bug testing as necessary.
What kind of environment is this? Pidl can currently only generate
Samba (and ethereal) -specific output. It would of course be possible
to add other output backends, such as one compatible with midl.

> I have read brief overview of the changes that you
> have done to PIDL, like uintx usage, and so on, and
> most of them I do agree that you've made the correct
> choice. Documentation through is not at so good level
> yet. Also NOTES.txt should be called a idl
> compiler/RPC design, and must be explained better than
> you've currently have written.
There is a manpage for pidl (in samba-docs/branches/SAMBA_4_0) which
has a bit more documentation.

> Can someone reply to me directly so we could discuss
> in more details about PIDL compiler. I'm intrested in
> cooperation with you guys.
I'd be happy to discus these things.

Cheers,

Jelmer