pidl, idl compiler, question for support.

Tarmo Pikaro tapika at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 13 16:22:02 GMT 2005

Hi !

Who is developing pidl compiler? I'm interested in
it's documentation, it's status (how much far it is
from being complete). I have tried to use it and came
accross following error:

$ ./pidl.pl --header update_installer.idl
Compiling update_installer.idl
Use of uninitialized value in string at
C:/projects2/remote_procedure_call/samba
4/source/build/pidl/util.pm line 14.

I'm interested about integrating pidl compiler into
embedded environement and would like to have some
cooperation with you if necessary. I can assist you on
writing documentation, code, bug testing as necessary.

Currenly my need for idl compiler are really low - I
need a support for client/server code generation,
which will not be NDR, but another data
representation, which I will develop by myself.
Data types for which I require support are byte, word,
dword, byte arrays and string. Custom data structures
are not yet required, but might be required in future.

Also I'm intrested about using pidl for other purposes
than communication, like generation / parsing of files
(By this you can assume that data aligment is not
required)

I have read brief overview of the changes that you
have done to PIDL, like uintx usage, and so on, and
most of them I do agree that you've made the correct
choice. Documentation through is not at so good level
yet. Also NOTES.txt should be called a idl
compiler/RPC design, and must be explained better than
you've currently have written.

Can someone reply to me directly so we could discuss
in more details about PIDL compiler. I'm intrested in
cooperation with you guys.