Is the handling for bug#2045 enough? (MS-Office behavior of timestamp)

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Mar 9 23:58:32 GMT 2005

On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 07:18:52PM +0900, ke_miyata at itg.hitachi.co.jp wrote:
> I add some technical background to my prior posting and attach a
> patch to the problem.
>
> I think the change made to the Bug #2045 has two problems.
> (1) It can't handle PowerPoint 2000 behavior of changing
>     timestamps.
> (2) A process for TRANS2/SETPATHINFO is degraded.
>

> - About behavior of changing timestamps
> [Phenomenon]
> Last access time (mtime in samba-side file system) of a .ppt file
> becomes not an original time (Windows behavior) but a file opened
> time after the file was accessed at the following situations.
>
> (1) At the first access after a ppt file was newly created and
>     saved without any editing
>
> (2) At the alternated access to the same file from multiple client
>     computers by write permitted users.
>
> These are observed in the following environment.
> OS: Windows 2000 SP4 and Windows XP SP2
> PPT: PowerPoint 2000 SP3
>
> [cause]
> The PowerPoint opens two file descriptors (fd) at the same time.
> When the first fd is opened, the PowerPoint modify last access
> time of the file with client-side time.  And the second fd is
> opened, it rolls back the last access time to the original time.
>
> Because the samba suspends a change of timestamp until closing a
> file, the last access time does not return to an original time
> depending on the timing of two closes.
>
> [action]
> In addition to the change to the Bug #2045, eliminating utime() at
> the closing time is needed.

I think I follow this logic, but I don't understand the elimination of
the utime() at close.

Can you be more explicit in this ? It's hard to follow the intent here.

Sorry for asking you to explain this in English, I know it's difficult
but it's the only language I understand and so I don't want to make a
mistake based on my imperfect understanding of your intent.

Jeremy.