Dynamic groups (was Samba and groups > 16)

Edgar, Bob Bob.Edgar at commerzbankib.com
Tue Mar 8 14:35:02 GMT 2005

If the kernel denies based upon an ACL (Unix side) then that's fine
with me. That's what Samba is supposed to do, is it not? The
user/group that the user "is" after authentication has just those
rights that the OS grants. If the ACL denies for group X then we
continue to try all the rest of the groups until either one succeeds
or we run out of groups. There is no need to check the ACLs in user space.

Consider: If I only have one group, the open() or whatever will either
succeed or fail. This can be because of "normal" Unix permissions or
POSIX ACLs. Adding another group changes nothing. The "quick and dirty"
method I proposed does nothing more than add an additional group
membership.

As to the "stupidly long" groups list there is of course the relatively
minor change of replacing all of the secondary groups with new entries
instead of just one at a time.