Dynamic groups (was Samba and groups > 16)

Tue Mar 8 13:52:47 GMT 2005

On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 02:03:34PM +0100, Edgar, Bob wrote:
> Forgive my naivety but what is wrong with the following:
>
> try to open/create the file/directory
> if EACCESS {
> 	foreach group in longlist {
> 		addgroup to groups list
> 		try to open/create the file/directory
> 		if success break
> 	}
> 	if failure return EACCESS
> }

Exactly this does not work. See my example in the posting you replied to. The
kernel can *deny* your access based on a group membership. So you have to
replicate the kernel functionality for access controls completely in user
space. For each and every access that is access control sensitive.

Volker