samba 4: a new configuration system?

Andrew Tridgell tridge at osdl.org
Tue Jun 28 02:16:53 GMT 2005

Alan,

 >   Yup.  Which means that any "mass-edit" method is very problematic.
 > What's needed is per-record locks, etc.

I don't think per-record locks would help either. The core problem is
the different timescales involved. A admin takes seconds to minutes to
edit something, whereas smbd needs write access at millisecond
timescales.

So I think the 'check that nothing has changed' method I proposed is
perhaps the only solution, as it allows the long timescale operation
(running the editor) to take place without a lock, while ensuring that
two edits don't happen at the same time on the same records.

Cheers, Tridge