samba 4: a new configuration system?

Morteza Ansari morteza at infoblox.com
Tue Jun 28 02:14:07 GMT 2005

Andrew Tridgell wrote:
> Mike,
>
>  > Hate to be the anal one, but we should add locking, yes?:
>  >     ldb_lock config.ldb
>  > >   ldbsearch '(some=expression)' > a.ldif
>  > >   run_my_script.sh a.ldif > b.ldif
>  > >   ldbdiff a.ldif b.ldif > changes.ldif
>  > >   ldbmodify changes.ldif
>  >     ldb_unlock config.ldb
>
> locking is a tricky issue with ldb, as ldap has no locking calls (at
> least as far as I know). We have put a ldb_lock() call in the ldb API,
> but it is used only by the tdb backend for now.

Not exactly locking, but LDAP assesrtion control gives some control over
operations like this.  Interestingly enought, the draft was approved by
IESG today!

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-zeilenga-ldap-assert-05.txt

This combined with grouping operation gives pretty good control over the
LDAP operations.  As I said not exactly locking level we are used to,
but better than nothing.

Cheers,
Morteza