Question on NTLMv2 over SMB

Yimin Chen ymchen at cisco.com
Tue Jun 28 01:54:37 GMT 2005

Hi,

I am running into problem when trying to test NTLMv2 pass-through
authentication.

I am reading "Implementing CIFS" and according to the section 15.5.7, if
Domain Controller has "IMCompatibility" set to 0, and I send a LMv2
response in the CaseInsensitivePassword field in the SMB Session Setup
Andx Request, the Domain controller should compare the response with LM,
LMv2, NTLM, NTLMv2 responses and found my response matching with LMv2
and then grant the access.

However, in my testing, I noticed that if I send LMv2 response to the
domain controller, the access is denied; if I send LM response to the
domain controller, the access is allowed. So I am not sure whether there
is some additional configuration I need to do on the domain controller
in order for it to accept LMv2 response as well?

Your help is really appreciated!

Thanks!
Yimin