samba 4: a new configuration system?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Jun 23 06:00:55 GMT 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 22:55 -0700, Raymond Lillard wrote:
> Raymond Lillard wrote:
>
> <snipped out a pretty fair rant>
>
> I apologize for forgetting to say thanks to all of the
> contributors for a really great piece of software.  I
> got caught up in my righteous indignation and forgot
> that I have used Samba since before the 2.0 series and
> not paid one red cent for it, nor have I contributed
> any code.  Not because I can't write code, I do - I just
> don't know, and don't want to know, enough about MS's
> expression of a networked filesystem to be useful to
> the project.

Why should that get in your way?  :-)

Most of Samba is basic systems programming, and while of course it deals
with CIFS as a 'core requirement', there are lots of parts of Samba
needing work well away from the protocol details.

Like designing a good web interface on Samba4 (that's not even written
in C!) or designing a transactional database for TDB, or any number of
other interesting tasks.  See the ideas we put up for the Google summer
of code for some ideas!