First Release of the acl package

Tim Potter tpot at samba.org
Thu Jun 23 01:54:50 GMT 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 09:20 +0200, Christoph Klein wrote:
> Hi,
> This morning i finally got my package released for the firs time. it's
> avaible under
> https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=140652
> But everything is still alpha code! Theres a readme in the base of the
> tar, that should describe how to make things running. You should edit
> the paths in the Makefiles, too, i've forgotten to mention that in the
> readme.
> The Userspace tools and the the samba module should work well
> reasonably. The Kernel module is still buggy, and might not work at all.
> I used another approach to implement this acl system than the one that
> is projected wtigh ntacl-lsm. But i think if this works it is at least
> as good as ntacl-lsm would be. You could also rewrite the vfs module for
> samba4 or enhance the kernel module to read also SECDESCs from the hard
> disk.
> So as you see a lot of ideas. I'm looking forward to your comments.

Hi Christoph.  I had a quick look through your code and was wondering
whether there was any more information about this ngacl business?  I had
a brief poke around with google and the only references to ngacl are to
the NorduGrid toolkit.

Is the approach you use to have the canonical ACL format being the NGACL
format?  You are right in saying Samba will need a VFS module to convert
NT ACLs to this format otherwise there's no way for a Windows user to
create them.

Tim.