samba 4: a new configuration system?

Sebastien Estienne sebastien.estienne at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 21:41:38 GMT 2005

hello,

I was wondering if samba 4 will have a different configuration file
format, maybe something with  an Api to ease writing configuration
gui.

I asked this because i wrote a little gui to integrate file sharing
deep in gnome nautilus:
http://gentoo.ovibes.net/nautilus-share
I'm using d-bus to make the link between the gui and a deamon that
modify (add/remove share) from a file included by smb.conf.

I read on the mailing list that samba 4 will have a built in webserver
for configuration purpose, do you plan to provide some kind of
"webservices" api (xmlrpc/soap)?

I think having a some kind of programming Api to configure samba would
be great and ease it's integration in desktop os.

regards,
--
Sebastien Estienne