[Performance] Samba 3 vs. Samba 4 performance in NetBench

Andrew Tridgell tridge at osdl.org
Tue Jun 21 06:26:48 GMT 2005

Jeremy,

 > That's exactly what it's doing.

yep, I remember you telling me about the word problem. It's an
interesting one!

Marc, can you get me an equivalent sniff of netbench using exactly the
same client but with a w2k3 server? Keep everthing else as similar as
you can to the two sniffs you've sent me already. I'd like to find out
if w2k3 is getting this 1 byte write problem, and if not then what it
is that is telling the client to avoid them.

In the sniffs you sent me the client is not making any FS_INFO file
system attribute queries, so it can't be using that to determine if
the server has sparse file support or not, and its not doing any file
query calls or ioctls that control sparseness. That leaves me stumped
as to how w2k3 could be avoiding this (unless its not avoiding it!).

I set the rounding size in Samba4 to 512 in order to pass one of the
ifstest tests. I'm reluctant to change the default as a benchmark hack
and would prefer to find out more about what is causing the client
behaviour.

Cheers, Tridge