ACLtorture and code checking tool

Christoph Klein christophk at cip.wiwi.uni-karlsruhe.de
Fri Jun 17 09:42:14 GMT 2005

Hi Jerry,
On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 02:40:24PM -0500, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
> Chris, do you mean implementation a new ACL model for an existing
> Linux filesystem ?  Or do you mean implementing a new mapping
> of Windows ACLs onto file system acls?
No, IMHO the posix_acl code within samba does the best it can to map
between the worlds. But i think that a lot of people have more
complicated setups, and need finer grained rights. And to compete as a
fileserver with windows a windowish ACL model is a must. Thats why i
want to implement this new system. I plan to write a lsm module module
to have the kernel code fs independent.

> There were some acl tools from bind view IIRC.  There's some in
> the smbtorture tool (in Samba 3 and 4).  And you can always
> write a win32 test application that does this.  If you cant to
> look at it from the unix client side, maybe the source for smbcacls
> would be a good place to start.

I already wrote a shell script using smbcacls, but due to the connection
overhead, it's much slower than copying a whole file tree with "xcopy /O
/E". If i start writing some code to stress test the vfs module, in which features would you be interested?
how did Volker Lendecke check his vfs_afsacl?

Thank you for your help!

christoph