Profiles Tool

Nathan Ingersoll ningerso at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 06:18:23 GMT 2005

I have been working on converting a domain from NT4 to a Samba PDC,
and ran into an issue with the profiles tool. While it would print the
correct SID changes to stderr, the file was not updated with the new
SID.

After a little digging, I found that the call to mmap was changed to
MAP_PRIVATE in February with this commit
http://websvn.samba.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi?view=rev&root=samba&rev=5318

There was no comment in the commit message about that change in mmap
behavior and I was unable to find any list discussions about it.
MAP_PRIVATE will prevent the changes from being written back to the
file, and setting it back to MAP_SHARED solved the issue for me. I
believe the intent of the patch was to just change the start argument
to mmap to be 0. Is there a reason I'm missing for it to be set to
MAP_PRIVATE?

Thanks,
Nathan