[Performance] Samba 3 vs. Samba 4 performance in NetBench

Kaplan, Marc marc_kaplan at adaptec.com
Thu Jun 16 01:00:11 GMT 2005

Tridge,

The results haven't changed much in the ext2 test with Samba 4 rebuilt
from a straight ./configure (there were no special options configured).

Server attributes: Pentium 4 2.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 3-drive Software RAID-0,
broadcom GigE NIC. SUSE EL8, handbuilt 2.6.11.11 kernel, ext2 file
system.

Samba build: Samba3-SVN-7569(oplocks off), Samba4-SVN-7568(posix:xattrs
= no)

NETBENCH
Clients 	Samba3	Samba4
1		51.150	42.285
4		203.449	171.702
8		204.407	170.333
12		194.383	159.905
16		189.470	154.434
20		185.257	150.425
24		185.442	149.986
28		184.451	149.125
32		182.569	150.044

This is basically the same pattern as before.

BENCH-NBENCH
Clients 	Samba3	Samba4
1		31.34		30.41
2		30.87		30.14
3		30.89		30.22
4		30.93		30.13
5		30.85		29.75
6		30.42		29.78
7		27.13		29.79
8		24.96		26.56
9		23.03		24.96
10		23.45		22.88

So still, we're maxed out in terms of CPU and performance at a single
BENCH-NBENCH client. It is worthwhile to note that because I'm doing
this over localhost, the smbtorture processes itself is using CPU (looks
like a 35% smbtorture to 65% smbd split). The difference between samba3
and samba4 in the NBENCH test is so small, that I would say it's not
significant at all.

The next step is to get you a sniff of a one client NetBench, which I'll
try to do soon. I'd also like to run the test on a faster box --
possibly dual or quad CPU, but I'll have to dig around some to find one.

		-Marc