samba_3_0 disabled in build farm

Andrew Tridgell tridge at osdl.org
Wed Jun 15 05:14:46 GMT 2005

Jeremy and Jerry,

The current samba_3_0 test code is leaving behind huge numbers of
processes, with some of our build farm machines now at the stage where
users can't login (for example, metze can't login to his Linux
boxes). Something must have changed in the Samba3 code quite recently
for this to be happening.

To prevent us having a general meltdown of the build farm, I have
disabled samba_3_0 in the farm for now.

Jerry, do you think there is any chance your recent rework of the
socket handling code could be contributing to this? I can't see
anything wrong with it, but a fair bit changed so perhaps there is an
unintended side effect.

The other likely cancidates would be:

  - anything that calls fork() or causes anything to call fork()
  - signal handling

Here is an example of what is currently happening:

  http://samba.org/~tridge/metze01.txt

notice that they are not chewing cpu.

Cheers, Tridge