Bug in hosts allow parameter discovered

Matt Schwartz mschwartz at dcscorp.net
Sat Jun 11 20:55:05 GMT 2005

Hello all,

I am not certain if this was reported or not but I have found a bug in
the hosts allow parameter for the smb.conf file.  The man page states
that the localhost is, by default, included in the hosts allow and that
it must be explicitly set in the hosts deny in order to prevent
localhost access.  In my smb.conf I had the following:

hosts allow = 192.168.0.0/24
hosts deny = 0.0.0.0/0

When I tried to run smbclient on the machine, I got an error.  I
actually had to set the hosts allow parameter to include 127.0.0.1.
Maybe I was just dense and missed something but I figured I'd report it
nevertheless.

Matt