CUPS interaction (authentication with LIBCUPS)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Jun 5 22:41:36 GMT 2005

On Sun, 2005-06-05 at 18:22 +0200, Dr. Uwe Meyer-Gruhl wrote:
> Hi,
>

> there is a problem with SAMBA interacting with CUPS: Alas, in CUPS,
> there is no way to discriminate with regard to authentication between
> different input feeds (e.g. IPP vs. commandline vs. LIBCUPS). So, if
> somebody secures his IPP server, he cannot print via SAMBA any more,
> since there is no way that SAMBA can be configured to send the
> authentication.
>
> Although one can argue that this is CUPS's fault, this could be solved
> in SAMBA if a "cups user" and "cups password" were introduced into
> smb.conf and used in the LIBCUPS callback (source/printing/print_cups.c):

I thought that cups had some 'as root' hack, where a 128 bit secret was
passed across, to prove that we are the root on the same host?

What we really want however is to ensure we act as the user, not as the
system, but without their password, and preferably also on remote hosts.
We don't get this stuff right at the moment (I'll file another bug) but
a cups user/cups password would make it worse, I think.

I think what we need is a brainstorm with the CUPS folks, who are known
to hang out in these parts :-)