svn commit: samba r8759 - in branches/SAMBA_4_0/source: libnet torture/libnet

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Jul 25 23:31:12 GMT 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 01:14 +0200, Rafal Szczesniak wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 08:11:01AM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 22:00 +0000, mimir at samba.org wrote:
> > > Author: mimir
> > > Date: 2005-07-25 22:00:56 +0000 (Mon, 25 Jul 2005)
> > > New Revision: 8759
> > >
> > > WebSVN: http://websvn.samba.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi?view=rev&root=samba&rev=8759
> > >
> > > Log:
> > > Another couple of fields in usermod routine.
> >
> > The libnet API provides some useful abstractions, but I'm missing what
> > is the benefit of this abstraction over directly setting the
> > user_info_21 and the fields_present flag.  Would it not be more complete
> > and less complex for the caller to set this directly?
>
> Yes and no :) I initially thought about using just samr structs, but:
>
>  1) I'd like to keep implementers of libnet applications away of samr
>     structures
>  2) SAMR_FIELD_* macros don't seem to cover all fields in the structure,
>     though it probably needs just a little more investigation
>  3) struct usermod_change is going to contain also text-based datetime
>     fields, instead of NTTIME, that will be converted to the value
>     required by samr calls. That is to say, I'd like it to be more
>     non-samba-hacker friendly :)

While I can agree to some extent on your last point, I have to disagree
on the use of text strings for dates.  While that might be quite fine in
a scripting language (that's what they are good for), I really don't
think it is wise to be going to and from strings here.  Should we encode
all integers in libnet as strings? ;-)