proposal for remotable smb.conf via \winreg pipe

David Collier-Brown David.Collier-Brown at Sun.COM
Tue Jul 19 17:49:11 GMT 2005

 Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
> The smbconf registry backend would do any sanity
> checks necessary such as "is this a valid parameter
> name?", "Is the value valid", etc....  A failure
> for a given check can just return IO failure or access
> denied.

	I'm a bit fuzzy about which is the back end (;-))
	but that makes good sense.

	Some GUI-acessable "end" needs to be able to
	let the human deal with
	- success
	- partial success, like "congratulations, you
	  just overrode the XXX parameter by setting
	  this one. I hope you meant to do that".
        - temporary failure, like "you asked to
	  make a printer non-printable. Are you sure?"
        - permanent failure, due to no access, etc

	(Those are the old ARPA protocol result codes
	for interactive apps, in case you find them
	suspiciously familiar (;-))

--dave (who mostly borrows other folks' good ideas) c-b
--
David Collier-Brown,      | Always do right. This will gratify
Sun Microsystems, Toronto | some people and astonish the rest