libmsrpc for Samba 3

derrell at samba.org derrell at samba.org
Thu Jul 7 18:02:14 GMT 2005

"Gerald (Jerry) Carter" <jerry at samba.org> writes:

> derrell at samba.org wrote:
>
>> If you find that you need to make any changes to the
>> libsmbclient context structure, it's probably worthwhile
>> coordinating that with me.  There are some compatibility
>> issues that have come up in the past that I'll be able
>> to warn you about if they appear to be ready to bite again.
>
> We probably need to have a better system for versioning
> the libraries.  At least then would could bump a major
> version if we absolutely had to break compatibility with
> existing applications.

That could mean that we need to support multiple versions concurrently.  In
our last go-round of changes to the context structure, I believe we ended up
with an extensible capability; we just need to manage it carefully.  (It'll
depend, of course, on what Chris ends up needing.)  I'd certainly prefer not
to have to support multiple versions if we can avoid it. :-)

Cheers,

Derrell