NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME

Belkorin tpdiglett at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 6 18:00:29 GMT 2005

I'm trying to set up samba(precompiled version
3.0.10-1.fc2) on a fedora core 2 server, and I'm
having some trouble. My windows 98 machines see the
server but can't connect to it, and on the server when
I try to do anything through smbclient I get either a
NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE error when I try to do
"smbclient -U% -L oldserv" or
NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME when I do "smbclient
//oldserv/test". The one thing I can get to work is
"smbclient -L oldserv". Here is what that gives me:

[lsnm at localhost lsnm]$ smbclient -L oldserv
Password:
Domain=[OLDSERV] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.10-1.fc2]

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        test            Disk      For testing only,
please
        IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba
3.0.10-1.fc2)
        ADMIN$          IPC       IPC Service (Samba
3.0.10-1.fc2)
Domain=[OLDSERV] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.10-1.fc2]

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        NMLS                 OLDSERV

Here is what the others do:

[lsnm at localhost lsnm]$ smbclient -U% -L oldserv
Domain=[NMLS] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.10-1.fc2]
tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

[lsnm at localhost lsnm]$ smbclient //oldserv/temp
Password:
Domain=[OLDSERV] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.10-1.fc2]
tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME

Here is what testparm outputs:

[lsnm at localhost lsnm]$ testparm
Processing section "[test]"
Loaded services file OK.