Plain Text Passwords in Unicode?

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Wed Jul 6 03:28:42 GMT 2005

Christopher R. Hertel said:
>> Result: The plaintext password is Unicode. The password should be
>> encoded
>> like any other string but it seems Samba wants ASCII. I tested this with
>> JCIFS and an ASCII password with everything else Unicode works.
>> Everything
>> in ASCII works. Everthing in Unicode does not work.
>
> Interesting...
>
> ...but try smbclient as well.  As I recall (it's been a while, so I may be
> crazy... not like that's unusual), smbclient will send Unicode plaintext,
> but the format is goofy (there's an extra nul byte or somesuch).

Oh, wait, sending everything in Unicode works. Smbclient sends Unicode.
The problem with jCIFS is the Unicode password isn't aligned properly.
Oops. It's interesting that the plaintext password in ASCII with
everything else Unicode actually worked.

Ethereal doesn't quite decode it properly though. I think it's expecting
the ANSI Password Length to be 1 with a 0x00 byte in plaintext mode. I
seem to recall seeing that.

Thanks,
Mike