Plain Text Passwords in Unicode?

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Wed Jul 6 01:32:47 GMT 2005

On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 09:11:41PM -0400, Michael B Allen wrote:
> Michael B Allen said:
> >>
> > <snip>
> >> The answer is that Windows doesn't have settings (as far as I can tell)
> >> that permit the combination of plaintext and Unicode.  Neither in client
> >> mode nor in server mode.
> >
> > What about Start > Run > secpol.msc and set "Microsoft network client:
> > Send unencrypted passwords to connect to third-party SMB servers" to
> > Enabled?
> >
> > I would try this but I don't "own" this workstation so I'd rather not.
>
> Ok, I just tried it. It's a pain because you need to reboot (hmm, actually
> I bet all you need to do is restart the server service, oops) for the
> changes to take effect.
>
> Result: The plaintext password is Unicode. The password should be encoded
> like any other string but it seems Samba wants ASCII. I tested this with
> JCIFS and an ASCII password with everything else Unicode works. Everything
> in ASCII works. Everthing in Unicode does not work.

Interesting...

...but try smbclient as well.  As I recall (it's been a while, so I may be
crazy... not like that's unusual), smbclient will send Unicode plaintext,
but the format is goofy (there's an extra nul byte or somesuch).

Worth trying.

I've gotta run, but I'll look for any follow up later tonight.

Thanks!  Fun stuff.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org