Plain Text Passwords in Unicode?

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Wed Jul 6 01:11:41 GMT 2005

Michael B Allen said:
> Christopher R. Hertel said:
>>> Anyone know off-hand if the plaintext password should be "ASCII" even
>>> if
>>> Unicode is negotiated?
>>
> <snip>
>> The answer is that Windows doesn't have settings (as far as I can tell)
>> that permit the combination of plaintext and Unicode.  Neither in client
>> mode nor in server mode.
>
> What about Start > Run > secpol.msc and set "Microsoft network client:
> Send unencrypted passwords to connect to third-party SMB servers" to
> Enabled?
>
> I would try this but I don't "own" this workstation so I'd rather not.

Ok, I just tried it. It's a pain because you need to reboot (hmm, actually
I bet all you need to do is restart the server service, oops) for the
changes to take effect.

Result: The plaintext password is Unicode. The password should be encoded
like any other string but it seems Samba wants ASCII. I tested this with
JCIFS and an ASCII password with everything else Unicode works. Everything
in ASCII works. Everthing in Unicode does not work.

Mike