Heimdal Futures

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Jul 5 10:49:50 GMT 2005

As Samba4 and Heimdal continue down this little road towards AD-like
network behaviour, we are starting to depend on having the kerberos
library around.  By the time we ship, Kerberos will clearly not be an
optional part of Samba4, and at some point we need to figure out how we
ship the source code.

Currently, we rely on the developer/alpha tester separately checking on
Heimdal from lorikeet, and placing it in samba4/source/heimdal.  This
prevents Samba4 from being tested on the build farm with Heimdal, and
means that some developers test with, and others without the kerberos
support.  This mismatch has caused development disruption.

What is at issue is how to proceed.  The options I see are to:

 - SVN link (reverence, or whatever) the current repository from
lorikeet into samba4
 - SVN import the entire lorikeet/heimdal repository into samba4
 - SVN import only the files we currently compile into samba4

I have my views, as does tridge, but lets start with this.