Printing problems when user in "Power Users" group

Olaf Frączyk olaf at cbk.poznan.pl
Mon Jan 31 09:21:44 GMT 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 08:50 -0800, charles n wyble wrote:
> 	Please send these type of querys to the samba-users list. Thank you.
> This is a development list and is for detailed technical questions and
> code discussion.
>
> Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
> >
> > Olaf Frączyk wrote:
> > |
> > | When I add domain user to "Power Users" group on
> > | Win2000, then he cannot see any printer jobs nor
> > | printer status. Printing works.
> > |
> > | In /Start/Settings/Printers window I get: "Access denied, impossible to
> > | connect" (translated from Polish) for the printer on the print server.
> > |
> > | I have generated level=3 logs:
> > | 1. print_NOT_OK.log - user in "Power Users" group
> > | 2. print_OK.log - few minutes later, after removal from
> > |    "Power Users" group
> > |
> > | Samba 3.0.11pre2
> > | Windows - W2K (PL) SP3 + all patches till 27.12.2004
> > |
> > | Is there any workaround?
> >
> > Either install the print driver on the server and use
> > point-n-print for the clients or set the 'user client driver'
> > option in smb.conf.  This is a well know issue in the Windows
> > print model.
Thank you.

> 	Is there a faq entry for it? I could look but I don't have time.

Regarding faq entry:
If it is, I was unable to find it.
As far as I understand, when a "Power User" is logged in the Win2000,
then windows assumes that it has administrative rights to the printer.
I suppose it should go in Samba-HOWTO-Collection in 18.14 or 19.19.
Should I file a bug report?

Regards,

Olaf

--