suggestion for libsmbclient feature / (SMB URL syntax)

Alexander Vodomerov alex at sectorb.msk.ru
Sat Jan 29 22:51:55 GMT 2005

On Sat, Jan 29, 2005 at 10:31:19AM -0500, Derrell.Lipman at UnwiredUniverse.com wrote:
> I added the ?mb option that you mention.  Unfortunately, it violates the
> proposed standard for the SMB URL:
>
>    http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-crhertel-smb-url-08.txt
>
> I recently submitted a set of changes that, amongh other more significant
> changes, remove the ?mb option, opting instead to provide a set of c-code
> options in the context structure.  This eliminates the need to extend the URL
> options fields.

Derrell!

Great thanks for help! The draft you pointed me clarified a lot. As I
understand, the "CALLED" attribute can be a solution for my case. I
can use IP in URL and NetBIOS name in CALLED for Win98 machines.

It will take me some time to get better understanding of Samba
source and make a patch.

> That option is, as you discovered, not currently supported in libsmbclient.
> If you'd like to implement it, I should send you (or you can find in the
> archives from a couple of weeks ago) my patch to libsmbclient.  It's fairly
I've found you patch in mailing list and would start from that.

With best regards,
   Alexander.