wins.dat and non-ASCII netbios names

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Thu Jan 27 19:29:45 GMT 2005

On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 01:50:36PM -0500, David Collier-Brown wrote:
>  --- David Collier-Brown <davec-b at rogers.com> wrote:
> > Yes, the standard tdb doesn't have ...
>
>   As you might have guessed, I was thinking more
> about smb.conf (with comments) than wins.dat
> (attributes) when I wrote that.

It opens up the whole question of modifying the structure of smb.conf
(which is a topic I've been flamed for raising before -- here I go
again).  :)

I'd love to see something more hierarchical and, particularly, something
that enforces the relationships between parameters.  Perhaps the way to go
(with Samba4?) is to build a back-end as has been done for so many other
systems.  The back-end would need to be able to read and write
configuration files.  (...and the old smb.conf format would have to be
supported for backward compatibility.)

As usual, this is really a 'money-where-my-mouth-is' sort of thing.  If'n
it's gonna happen, someone has to write it.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org