Linking to a custom heimdal version

Love lha at stacken.kth.se
Wed Jan 26 20:36:40 GMT 2005

"Stefan (metze) Metzmacher" <metze at samba.org> writes:

> | that means samba links fine to the custom libs (-L is for that) but at
> | runtime the loader uses the
> | system libs (-Wl,-rpath... is for this one)
>
> I have a patch for this, but I think -Wl,-rpath is maybe not portable to
> all linkers, we need to check that...

Its not portable, first of all -Wl is gcc-ism.

gnu ld accepts this:
-Wl,-rpath,/path1 -Wl,-rpath,/path2

with osf/1 (dux (tru64)) ld accepts this
-Wl,-rpath,/path1:/path2

Using the gnu invocation with a osf/1 results in the equivalent of
-Wl,-rpath,/path2

and that will make you unhappy.

> But it should fix your current problem, and only add the path flags when
> they are not the system default

I guess krb5-config should tell you the runtime link-editor paths somehow,
but using -Wl, syntax is probably wrong.

Now, if you had used libfool, it would have picked up the .la files, saw
the runtime path included in the file, and automagicly added them to the
link command. But then, you all seem to hate libtool so, I wont propose
that.

Love