Samba - CPU and memory usage - Proposed solution(?)

Nikos Balkanas nbalk at hol.gr
Tue Jan 25 05:29:57 GMT 2005

Hi

I am not aware of JP's approach. Are you referring to the performance or
security issue?

A radical proposal that will definitely solve the access issue and will
propably piss microsof offt:

Extend the samba protocol to add agent.
If there is no agent in the configuration or agent is desktop, then it
behaves as normal shared drive.
If agent is geneva and user Nikos, then files are available only to
application geneva when run by user Nikos.

Agent registration will be required, and I guess you could do it. That
certainly would put a smile on Bill Gate's face :-)
I am sure that companies wouldn't mind utilizing the optional extension,
since it would only be a minor code modification that would increase
security. And they would in turn suggest Unix samba, until Windows get upto
speed.

Nikos