Samba - CPU and memory usage - Proposed solution(?)

Nikos Balkanas nbalk at hol.gr
Mon Jan 24 07:15:45 GMT 2005

Hi,

Please note that I am leaving samba general list. Too much traffic.

In my original thread, I indicated that this is a special option for big
professional systems. If something from the optimization spills to general
samba architecture, all the better.

In this case this is exactly what you want to avoid. We don't want *any* CRM
agent or user to be able to do a del *.*.  If all files in a directory need
to be deleted or moved, this should be done by the Unix administrator, who
has responsibility of the system and can easily do a "rm -rf *" on the Unix
filesystem.

The version I worked and developed the patch was 2.2.22 (I am fairly certain
the same holds for 2.2.24).

I am under the opinion that it is not samba's responsibility to verify a
missing file. This should be done from the Unix administrator on the Unix
filesystem. Having implemented it without a problem for ~1 yr, and having to
deal with ~10  missing files, I can verify that whenever samba didn't find
it, it wasn't on the Unix filesystem.

Please take heed from Windows XP. It serves 1 million files in a directory
without breaking a sweat. The only way to do it is with "stat". If it
doesn't find the particular file, it reports it missing, it doesn't hoag the
server.

Please also avoid bloating samba. One of the reasons that I didn't port the
patch to 2.2.24, was that, although only a security update, had so many new
buffers, that basically I had to redo everything from the start. Please make
an effort to reduce buffers, not increase them. Mike's idea for a minimal
samba server sounds very tempting, even in the general case.

Cheers,
Nikos