tiny samba4 smbd on vxworks

Andrew Tridgell tridge at osdl.org
Thu Jan 20 22:06:04 GMT 2005

Andreas,

If you don't have fork() at all, then you probably need a patch to
make the "standard" process model a compile time option. So add a
configure test for fork(), then don't compile smbd/process_standard.c
if you don't have fork(). This is similar to what we do for the
pthread process model, except that the thread model is off by default,
whereas the "standard" model is on by default. If you do this patch
nicely then we will probably accept it into the Samba4 svn, which will
help anyone trying to port to a platform that doesn't have fork().

I also suggest that before you try to port smbd itself, you start on
the major subsystems. I would suggest starting with lib/tdb/, then
lib/talloc/ then lib/ldb/. Each of these subsystems have their own
Makefile which allows them to be built and tested independently of
Samba. Once each of these subsystems works correctly (passes its own
test suite) then you could move onto trying to build smbd itself.

Cheers, Tridge