ldap attribute aliases

Simo Sorce idra at samba.org
Sat Jan 15 15:43:33 GMT 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-15 at 01:47 -0800, Howard Chu wrote:

> By all means, your software should assume that there are no secondary
> names. Think of them as just a transitional aid, to allow newer servers
> and clients to deal with data generated by older clients. Any
> contemporary software should only use the canonical name.

Sorry if I insist Howard,
I do not understand how youìre supposed to "help" older clients by
returning a different attribute name.

When I ask for 'commonName' I expect to have back 'commonName' not 'cn'.
When I ask for 'cn' I expect to have back 'cn' not 'commonName'.

I'm asking because I missed the reason why openLdap return s 'cn'
instead of 'commonName'.

If I get you right you're saying that newer application should never ask
for "commonName" but only for "cn", I'm fine with that, but I do not
understand how that relates with the name of the attribute returned by
the server, if they are used to aid transition I think it should try to
accomodate older applications by 'speaking' their language and returning
the attribute name in the form they show to be using ...

/me confused

Simo.

Simo Sorce    -  idra at samba.org
Samba Team    -  http://www.samba.org