ldap attribute aliases

Andrew Tridgell tridge at osdl.org
Sat Jan 15 09:32:21 GMT 2005

Howard,

 > "right" is subjective in this case, since these short names are just
 > another wart in the ugliness of the LDAP protocol.

I don't think it is at all subjective from a users point of view. Can
you show me any way to write working LDAP client code against the
current OpenLDAP server that makes use of the second name for an
attribute without having to also know about the first name?

If the answer is that it can't be done then surely either removing the
ability to have secondary names for attributes or fixing it to return
the attribute name that was asked for are the only two options.

Cheers, Tridge