LDAP delay when connected DC goes down

Alex de Vaal a.vaal at nh-hotels.com
Fri Jan 14 10:19:43 GMT 2005

On Thu 13 Jan 2005 at 18:29, Meadows, Joe wrote:

>> However, I see every time a delay of around 5 seconds in the
>> communication Of Winbind while the XP client is trying to "background"
>> print and it looks like this:
>> [2005/01/11 14:54:13, 10]
>> nsswitch/winbindd_group.c:fill_grent_mem(221)
>>  fill_grent_mem returning 1
>> [2005/01/11 14:54:18, 10] nsswitch/winbindd.c:winbind_client_read(470)
>>  client_read: read 1824 bytes. Need 0 more for a full request.

> Just a quick thought that 5 seconds sounds like a typical value for a DNS
> timeout.
> Is the DC that goes down possibly running a DNS server?
> Can you see the 5 second delay on a network trace?

The DC that goes down is running a DNS server, however my secondary DC
is also running a DNS server. Both DC's are configured as DNS server in
the resolv.conf of my RHL9 server.

To exclude possible DNS timeouts for samba I configured the following:

smb.conf
======
password server = 192.168.100.100, 192.168.100.101

krb5.conf
=======
[libdefaults]
 default_realm = NH-HOTELES.COM

[realms]
 NH-HOTELES.COM = {
  kdc = 192.168.100.100:88
  kdc = 192.168.100.101:88
 }

resolv.conf
========
nameserver 192.168.100.100
nameserver 192.168.100.101

I'll take a look for the 5 second delay on a network trace.

Alex.