Speed problem - smbclient doesn't send duplicate ACKs in case of pacekt loss

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Mon Jan 10 18:07:53 GMT 2005

On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 10:27:21PM -0500, Derrell.Lipman at UnwiredUniverse.com wrote:

> > Your change to lib/util.c depends on nanosleep - a linux-only function.
>
> Are you sure of this?  According to the nanosleep(2) manual section, it's
> conformant to POSIX.1b (formerly POSIX.4).

Ok, my mistake. But it's not in all UNIXes :-). Thanks for the correction.

> Your version appears to be functionally equivalent and slightly more efficient
> in the "normal" case (no interrupt).  Doing the gettimeofday call only when
> errno == EINTR seems perfectly appropriate and desirable.  My only concern
> (and it's a big one) is that this is an absolutely critical function -- the
> whole of samba relies on it to function properly -- so I'd be loath to make a
> switch to fairly untested code.  Although I tend to use almost exclusively
> libsmbclient, at least the version I submitted has been tested (albeit only
> here) for a couple of months without apparent failure.

I'm concerned about the number of system calls in the "normal" case. Adding
2 more when one will do seemed to be a little wasteful. I'm expecting the
code I committed will be banged on quite hard very soon :-).

> ps. That was only one small part of my patch.  Will the remainder
> (libsmbclient stuff) be applied?  It'd be really nice to get that into the
> release as well!

Yes I'll take a look at that - but my critical concern was for the
server problem.

Thanks a *lot* for your help though - much appreciated !

Jeremy.