Well-known usage patterns in smb.conf (was Re: Winbind in Samba4)

David Collier-Brown davec-b at rogers.com
Sun Jan 9 15:18:05 GMT 2005

Simo Sorce wrote:
> I know, people generally do not want to manage users on a NAS box, but
> NASes are just one of the targets of samba4.
> We need to be as compatible as we can, so we will implement all it is
> necessary and probably something more :-)

	I wonder if managing Samba would be easier if we
	provided "macro" parameters, like

		usage = NAS
	or
		usage = member server

	These would set defaults for groups of other
	parameters.

	This approach is heavily used by the (sun) c-compiler,
	where "-fast" is short for
          -fns
          -fsimple=2
          -fsingle
          -ftrap=%none
          -nofstore
          -xalias_level=basic
          -xbuiltin=%all
          -xdepend
          -xlibmil
          -xlibmopt
          -xmemalign=8s
          -xO5
          -xprefetch=auto,explicit
          -xtarget=native

	It's much appreciated by the user community, who
	**really** don't want to remember the whole list.

	I suspect it would be particularly usefully with
	SWAT, as the user could set usage=NAT in the global
	section and then see what the results were throughout
	the configuration.

	And one option that might be highly usefully for samba 4
	would be:

		usage = samba 3 compatibility

--dave