Samba 3.2 futures?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Jan 8 21:27:36 GMT 2005

Given the recent activity regarding privileges, I thought it might be
worthwhile finding out what was the future of Samba 3.2.

Samba 3.1 (targeted at Samba 3.2 release), in the SVN trunk, is largely
made up of Samba 3.0 and a few features that were developed in trunk, to
avoid disturbing current development.  These include idra's privileges,
vl's winbindd async changes, and mimir's trusted domains in passdb code.
Notably absent is BDC development work, which is progressing faster in
Samba4 than anywhere else.

There seems to be no sign of continuing development on trunk - all the
'cool' stuff is happening in Samba4, and Samba 3.0 is the focus of 'keep
the ship togeather' kind of work.  This seems to leave Samba 3.1 out in
the cold, particularly after it lost it's role as landing-zone for
Samba4 backports, and where aside from the privileges work, there has
been little demand for the features contained therein.  They are useful
features, but perhaps not things people know about, or think they need.

I had assumed (based partly on discussions with vl, but not jerry),
until recently, that without major development occurring in the Samba
3.1 branch, that the existing work there would be merged into Samba 3.0
in due course.  There is precedent for this, with significant
functionality merged into Samba 2.2 from various places, during it's
'stable' development.

Perhaps the reason I expected this is that I see nothing that indicates
that Samba 3.2 is heading for a release on it's own.  (Handling a new
and separate release takes a lot of effort, and with increasing amounts
of team effort, including my own, being brought to bear on Samba4, I
just don't see the resources being there, alongside Samba 3.0).

So, this is why I ask - what do people see as is the future of Samba
3.2?

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at samba.org
Authentication Developer, Samba Team            http://samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net