svn commit: samba r4579 - in branches/SAMBA_3_0/source: auth rpc_server

Simo Sorce idra at samba.org
Fri Jan 7 08:24:43 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 21:12 -0600, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> Simo Sorce wrote:
>
> | I've already achieved this result the "proper" way by
> | adding a privilege infrastructure in trunk.
> | he patch has been long in production and works very
> | well, plus it make you possible to selectively give
> | the "join the machine to the domain" privilege with
> | out the need to give away full control on the client.
> |
> | The patch is not big, and sets up an infrastructure
> | to add more privileges (think of printing related
> | privileges).
> |
> | Would you considering adding that instead of this hack ?
>
> no.  I already looked.  I've spent several days backporting the
> privileges code.

You should have asked, I have a patch ready cause I use it on some
customers who need to give out lower level technicians the privilege to
join machines to the domain but NOT give them full Administrator access
to said machines.

>   Its just a little too heavy right now.

> You can add the privileges code in Samba 4 of if we need
> it in Samba 3, this change is a forward compatible solution.

Samba4 will have privileges.

> I knew you would be upset but the privileges code adds
> unneeded complexity at this moment.  And I know you'll
> probably hate me, but I'll buy you dinner next time
> we get together to make up for it.

I'm not upset, just a bit disappointed, I made and very carefull tested
the patch in production, it's not that intrusive (in my POV) and made
thinks saner (eg. don't give away more privileges than need == root to
each lower level tech on each machine in the domain).

> Sorry.  I did look at it but chose not to use it.

You're the release manager, you decide.

> Can you give me other examples of where
> using privileges would be helpful other than
> joining machines to a domain, replacing printer admin,
> or the backup right assigned to 'backup operators' ?

well there are a number of operation we can make out custom privileges
for like the privilege of creating printers, privilege to create shares
via rpc calls, privilege to whatever you want, the privileges
infrastructure is generic it's just a matter of adding a string there
and then add proper checking code before a become_root()/unbecome_root()
pair.

Simo.