winbind in samba4?

Henrik Nordstrom hno at squid-cache.org
Thu Jan 6 23:46:11 GMT 2005

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005, Volker Lendecke wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 05:36:31PM -0600, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
>> My gut feeling is that this is a bad idea since people do
>> run winbindd without smbd at all (e.g. linux desktop
>> clients, squid servers, etc...)  But since I'm not working
>> on Samba 4, I could be off base.
>
> Just say 'server service = winbind' only....

Sorry, I missed part of the discussion.

What would the be the beneft of running winbind in the same process as smb
or other services?

Personally I prefer separate processes for separate tasks. Generally makes
things both more stable and easier to maintain once one has got the
separation set correctly. Joining things in one process only because one
can is not a valid reason to do so.

Regards
Henrik