IP address in log messages vs. a separate log file per IP -- "debug ... = yes"

John Gerth gerth-osxserve at gpo.stanford.edu
Tue Jan 4 20:19:10 GMT 2005

Richard Sharpe wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Jan 2005, Volker Lendecke wrote:
>

>>On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 10:28:50AM -0800, John Gerth wrote:
>>
>>>the IP address included in the bracketed message header, e.g.
>>>   [2006/01/04 09:26:39, 1, 10.0.0.1] ....
>>>in order to be able to see where the request was being generated.
>>
>>If you guard it by an option like 'debug pid', defaulting to false I like that
>>idea.
>

> Yes, that would make it of use to developers but keep the clutter down in
> log files for normal users.

  Ahh...I was unaware of the "debug ...." options.  This is certainly in
  line with the spirit of those and follows exactly the justification
  for "debug pid" (When using only one log file....hard to follow which...)

  For my purposes I'd just as soon have both the IP and Netbios name
  so a single "debug ... = yes" would be sufficient.