FAT, NTFS, CIFS and DOS attributes

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Tue Jan 4 04:05:20 GMT 2005

H. Peter Anvin said:
> In other words, I'm inclined to define simple system attributes or just
> the kernel.

Well if you're just interested in DOS attributes you don't care about how
Samba handles ACLs. You're only interested in about 3 bits. Anyway I have
an idea...

If the attrib member in xattr_DosInfo2 was moved to the beginning of the
structure the all attrib members would always be encoded at the same
offset within the data returned by getxattr regardless of what info
strucutre was used. So you could get and set these attributes as
user.DosAttrib in a fairly compatible way.

Mike