FAT, NTFS, CIFS and DOS attributes

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Tue Jan 4 02:05:30 GMT 2005

 > Right, but here we're talking about exposing the guts of a DOS-based
 > filesystem so they can be manipulated by an application which isn't
 > necessarily a bulk file handler.  The API doesn't really work for that,
 > especially since some of the attributes have different access properties
 > from the others.

right. Samba doesn't care much about VFAT, and you don't care about
all the other attributes, so we should get along fine without treading
on each others toes too much.

I explained what Samba4 does as you asked about the user.DosAttrib
xattr that Steve put a placeholder for in cifsfs. That came from
Samba4, so if you suddenly started using it in a different way I would
get a sore toe :-)

Once the Samba LSM module is done and Wine and Samba start working
more together on all these extra bits of meta-data then we could
consider making your ioctl work on all filesystems when the LSM module
is loaded.

Cheers, Tridge