Build Farm Updates to samba-cvs

Vance Lankhaar vance at samba.org
Mon Jan 3 18:28:28 GMT 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-01 at 11:40 -0500, Green, Paul wrote:
> Vance Lankhaar wrote:
> > I've set up a little script to quickly summarize what's changed on the
> > build farm and emails it to one of the lists. For now, I've
> > set it up to
> > go to the samba-cvs mailing list. I don't know how people feel about
> > getting non-commit messages on the list, but I think it's probably a
> > better place to send the status updates than samba-technical.
> >
> > Does anyone have any objection to sending these messages to samba-cvs?
> > Or perhaps a better suggestion?
>
> Who is the audience?  If it is samba developers, then samba-cvs is
> reasonable.  If it is the people who maintain the build farm machines, then
> perhaps build-farmers would be more appropriate.  If both groups need the
> data, then perhaps it should go out to both lists...

In general, I think the build farm is targeted at the developers of
Samba, rather than the machine maintainers. I think that notifying the
maintainer of the machine when Samba/rsync/ppp/distcc/ccache breaks is
probably not going to be helpful to the maintainers. (In fact, we try to
make it so that maintaining a host is much of a "set it up and forget
about it" type of responsibility.).

Cheers,
Vance Lankhaar
Samba Team